POLICY: CONTENTS AND ACCESS TO INFORMATION IN PHYSICIAN’S COLLEGE FILES
Member Access to Files
1. Under conditions established by the Council of the College, a member will be permitted to review the file maintained by the College of Physicians and Surgeons in respect to that member.
2. Any member wishing to access his/her file at the College of Physicians and Surgeons:
a. Must schedule an appointment to visit the College offices.
b. Must pay in advance a fee of $50 which will permit one hour of supervised access to the file.
c. Must pay an additional fee of $25 per hour or any portion thereof exceeding the first hour.
3. Prior to permitting a member to review a file, the Registrar shall remove from that file:
a. Any letters of reference pertaining to the member.
b. All written communication between the College of Physicians and Surgeons and its legal counsel.
c. All expert reports and opinions submitted by a member of the College in respect to the member in question.
d. All material pertaining to investigations currently underway.
e. All other material which, in the opinion of the Registrar, has been submitted to the College of Physicians and Surgeons in confidence with the expectation that such material would not be disclosed to the member in question.
4. When materials are removed from the file by the Registrar, the member shall be so informed and advised of the general classification of the materials removed.
5. Throughout the time that a member has access to his/her file, the member shall be supervised to prevent removal or alteration of any of the contents of the file.
6. The Registrar’s office may provide a member copies of any of the contents (other than contents that have been removed prior to the member’s review) of that member’s file provided the member pays to the Registrar’s office in advance, a fee which shall be established by the Registrar’s office to effect full cost recovery of this service.
Council: July, 1993
Amended by Council, March 26, 2015
To be reviewed March 2020